Celebrating super foods is one of our favorite things about the wellness industry. We love experimenting with new foods, sharing them with our community, and incorporating them into our retreat menus. We’ve been doing a lot of planning for our Costa Rica retreat this week at Paraiso Headquarters, and we’ve been dreaming of all things tropical! With Foodie Friday in mind, it seemed like a natural fit to feature one of our favorite island foods — the coconut!
We serve coconut water straight from the source every morning after yoga to leave our guests healthy and hydrated while in the tropical heat! While we are obsessed with the sweet, simple flavor of coconut water, we are taking a deeper look into this deliciously refreshing craze to find out exactly why our bodies feel so wonderful after imbibing on these beauties! Here’s what we found…
Coconut water health benefits:
- Very hydrating and refreshing – its liquid is packed with simple sugars, electrolytes, and minerals to replenish dehydration within the human body
- Cytokinins found in coconut water are found to have significant anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic (anti-clot formation) effects
- Coconut water is helps with digestion and metabolism of food thanks to its many naturally occurring bioactive enzymes
- Despite its very light consistency, its water has a proportionately superior composition of minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc than fruit juices like oranges
- Amazing source of B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates — these vitamins are essential in the sense that the human body requires them from external sources to replenish.
- Coconut water contains a high concentrate of the electrolyte potassium 100 ml of water has 250 mg of potassium and 105 mg of sodium, a great combo for after exercise
For more information on coconut water, Nutrition and You is the wonderful resource we got our stats from. We love coconuts for more than just their liquid/water! This multitasking miracle food also offers coconut oil which is a great option for cooking, and coconut meat which is amazingly tasty and nutritious. We also love using coconut oil in our beauty regime — shaving oil, face/body moisturizer, deep hair conditioner — you name it! Stay tuned for more posts on the benefits of coconut in the near future.